Playing with the big bois

Every couple of weeks, I’m tasked with making a ‘release’. Now these releases aren’t necessarily a release of a product, instead, they’re a release of code to a Github repo of your choice. In short, I’m tasked with finding a repo I would like to contribute to and quite literally, contribute.

Initially in my one of my previous posts, I mentioned I wanted to work with Discord.js, however, I decided against that for the time being due to some time constraints and the overload of other courses. “Being a student is SOOO fun, they said” – Said no-one ever!

What I did

So rather than work on Discord, I decided to work on a project called redux-saga. redux-saga “is a library that aims to make application side effects (i.e. asynchronous things like data fetching and impure things like accessing the browser cache) easier to manage, more efficient to execute, simple to test, and better at handling failures.” Now if you read my previous post about changing an app’s theme, I had an issue with Async programming in JavaScript. Which I must say, honestly left an emotional scar on me. Lesson learned: Async coding is a pain! -_-

The contribution

The issue I decided to work on in redux-saga was to add a file, which is pretty funny, because I was looking to contribute to their code and now I’m making a contribution guideline, haha.

So in order for me to work on one of the issues on redux, I had to first ask for permission. In doing so, I’m asking the owners of the repo if it’s actually even okay for me to work on their code, and on top of that, (if they approve) I’m also letting other contributors know that this issue has been taken. That way, you won’t have multiple people working on the same issue.

When working on the file, I used quite a lot of examples for writing a file. I took a look at Microsoft’s VSCode guidelines, coala, infinitered and a few others. Since they had already written a contribution guideline, they really were good places to start. So from there I did!

Writing the file was honestly not the hard part of that project. The hard part was going through the previous posts and pull requests in the redux-saga repository in order to get a feel of how they accept work. It was only then I could actually come up with a completed guideline.

Personally, I think my contribution came out great. Though it hasn’t been accepted at the time of me writing this post, I have faith that it will be. If not, then I’ll simply go back and work on it some more to the point it will be accepted.



Quite frankly, I was scared. The reason because aside from teachers, I’ve never really given someone on the internet my work to critique and hope that they like it. So making the PR after I’ve made my changes was a bit shaky. But nonetheless, I say it was an interesting experience. As it got me exposed to a much larger community than just what’s in the classroom. So ultimately, I liked doing this.

If you’d like to see the PR I made after doing my contribution, click here!

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to read this far. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section!

One thought on “Playing with the big bois

  1. Pingback: Asynchronous code strikes again! – A. Kabia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s